The mission of Americans United for Life is to defend human life through vigorous legislative, judicial, and educational efforts, on both the state and national level.
Founded in 1971 as the first national pro-life organization in the United States, Americans United for Life (AUL) is a nonprofit, public-interest law and policy organization whose vision is a nation in which everyone is welcomed in life and protected in law.
AUL brings the pro-life message into mainstream America’s living rooms, offices, and schools, through our ongoing presence in mainstream news sources and our innovative use of online media. In the past year alone, AUL’s experts were featured in newspapers and magazines nationwide, including the New York Times,Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal, as well as on all the major TV networks, including interviews on FOX News and CNN. During the hearings for U.S. Supreme Court nominee Judge Sonia Sotomayor, television viewers nationwide saw AUL President & CEO Dr. Charmaine Yoest testify before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee–the only pro-life leader so honored. Dr. Yoest likewise was the only leader of a national pro-life organization called to a meeting with White House officials during the health-care fight.
AUL attorneys work tirelessly across the country to help legislators write common-sense laws that protect human life at every stage, and to defend those laws against court challenges.
Currently, we are working with pro-life lawmakers to compose and pass legislation that would:
- Mandate standards for abortion clinics to protect the health and safety of women and correct often substandard conditions.
- Protect the rights of conscience of all healthcare professionals.
- Protect parental rights, ensuring parents and guardians are involved in medical decisions of children.
- Protect unborn victims from criminal violence, including homicide.
- Ban all forms of human cloning.
- Promote adult stem cell, cord blood and other forms of life-affirming stem cell research.
- Prevent euthanasia and assisted suicide.
- Inform women of the health risks of abortion including the link between abortion and breast cancer.